Maggie Beer Foundation - Module 9: Embracing Food from Diverse Cultures
Featuring Maggie Beer with:
- Ved Prasad - Executive Chef Manager, Gallipoli Home
- Sam Tsang - Quality Catering Lead/Chef, ANHF (Australian Nursing Home Foundation)
Australia is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world and the nation has benefitted from the traditions, skills and crafts that migrants brought with them from their homelands. As our population grows and ages, our aged care homes are providing for the needs of older people with backgrounds from all over the world. This requires learning about the beliefs, preferences and tastes around food, ingredients, cooking styles and cultural traditions. It even includes understanding how different cultures present their foods, what they eat at different times of the day and differences in how they chew and swallow their foods. Cooks, chefs and kitchen staff can make a huge difference in creating solutions to suit individual palates and beliefs.
After completing this course, participants should be able to:
- Manage the nutritional needs and food preferences of culturally diverse residents
- Support residents to observe cultural traditions
- Encourage and support residents to be involved in menu planning
- Engage residents and families at meal times
Who is this course appropriate for:
This module is suitable for cooks, chefs and kitchen staff working in aged care.
View the trailer below to preview the course: